Thursday, June 30, 2011

Don't Laugh

I KNOW!!!  Two posts in one month.  Can you stand it?

Johnathon is upstairs sleeping.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE his new schedule (which means that he will promptly change it completely).  He dropped his morning nap a couple of weeks ago.  He now wakes up around 6:00-6:30, sleeps from 11-1 and goes to sleep for the night at 7.  I'm digging it.  I can run errands in the morning, get stuff done around the house while he naps, then play/run more errands in the afternoon.  AND have enough personal time in the evening.  God love him--he's being such a good boy for mama.

His new trick?


You know, I consider myself to be a modern woman.  Power to the Female and all.  But, my words and actions.  They don't line up.  When I list the things I have done/gotten interested in the past couple of years, I swear, I'm ripped out of the 1950s:

--I bake bread (ok, I use a bread machine, but still)
--I garden
--I can the veggies from my garden

and, here's the kicker...
I AM TAKING SEWING CLASSES.

There.  I said it.  I will now be that hippy woman who obviously wears homemade clothes.*  Honestly, I'm really, really excited about it (the class, not looking like the hippy woman).

I'm postive  not sure that I will make my own clothes.  The sewing class I am taking will ultimately result in an A-Line Skirt with Patch Pockets,  I looked it up.  Hopefully it will look something like this**:close
Product Image

+
Video Description






























That skirt costs $80.00!!  But I DO want to learn how to make things for around the house--curtains (advanced, I know, but I'm being ambitious here), throw pillow covers, baby quilts, tablecloths.  Plus, the class will teach me how to hem stuff, which I think will be useful.  My level of experience=Zero.  Perhaps a little less than zero--I was convinced I could make swaddling blankets for Johnathon based on what a Happiest Baby on the Block teacher told us when we took the class while I was pregnant.  SO EASY, she said.  Not so much,you lying beyotch, I said.  I do not own a sewing machine, so I had to use Stitch Witchery on it (iron on hemming stuff) to make the corners and edges.  I proudly sent a picture of what I had lovingly created for my yet-to-born child to my sister.  She laughed and told me to send her the fabric I had bought.  Sad face.

But, as I am every time I start a new project (regardless of whether or not I actually finish/it transitions into an actual, useful hobby), I am chockfull of excitement and optimism.  I will NOT let the memory of a C (yes, really, a freaking C) for a pillowcase I made in 8th grade Home Ec get me down.







*No, not really.

**And that my stomach looks exactly like that, too.

No comments: