Monday, November 28, 2011

My little boy, sniff...

Last weekend, we took Johnathon to have his first haircut.  I had been resisting Craig every step of the way for months because I did not want to cut his hair.  Even after it was way past time to do it.  The kid had a mullet.  I don't know--haircutting just seemed like a very little boy thing to do and my baby is not a little boy, ergo etc etc, he does not need a haircut.
Mom, really.  I'll be ok.


So, I bit the bullet and took him to get a haircut.  The Woe.  And then!  The Cuteness.  I have to commend the haircutter--Cookie Cutters (woohoo!).  They plopped him right down into a chair that shaped as a car.  He was in heaven.  He didn't realize what was going on.  Of course, Craig and I took a zillion pictures.  Well, and there were a few tears, but not many, I promise.  And viola....

And, then, we went to Panera to celebrate....


Thanksgiving was this past week and I am thankful that Johnathon has a (mostly) strong stomach because his eating habit continue to baffle me.  Behold, his favorite foods:

Spaghetti, acceptable.

Green crayon, not so much acceptable.

Craig continues to do well in his back surgery recovery.  One of the goals that the hospital had set for him was to be able to walk three miles by the end of his six weeks' recovery.
.
Nailed it.  The Holiday in Lights 5K.
Honestly, I am so proud of Craig.  I think we had both forgotten what "normal" was.  For example, we had six people over for Thanksgiving dinner.  Craig was on his feet all day cooking (because he, honestly, loves cooking).  Friday, we took Johnathon to a holiday train exhibit.  Saturday and Sunday, we hung Christmas lights outside.  Now, to you, that sounds like a good weekend.  Before the surgery, that weekend would have been unimaginable.  ONE of those things we could have done as a family, not all of them.  Certainly not if we hosted Thanksgiving.  He would have been flat on his back, lying on ice for the rest of the weekend.  I was looking at past pictures of Johnathon recently and in so many of them, Craig is in the background, lying down.  I am so, so thankful for the surgery and what it continues to mean to Craig and our family.

3 comments:

Maeve said...

What a cute family you guys are! Way to go Craig!

Auntie said...

I mean, honestly, can my nephew be any cuter?!?!?!? The boy can't help it!! :) Auntie misses you so much and I'm so glad that you appear to be as wild as your cousins!!!! :) It's good for your Momma to get a taste of my life! keep up the busy-ness JD!! :) Auntie loves you!!!

Sarah Mertz said...

I am so happy for you guys...you all look great. Fabulous things coming your way in 2012, I am sure!