Monday, August 17, 2009

School Days

Today is the first day of school at the high school where I used to work. So, today, there will be about 900 (yes, you read that right nine freakin HUNDRED) freshmen wandering around with their parents, wide-eyed/excited/frightened, trying to locate their rooms and mostly being on their best behavior.

This is only the second First Day of School I have missed in my school going years. The first was the summer I moved back from the UK. Technically, I suppose, I missed a first day of school when I was hired six weeks into the school year in 2006, but I got there soon enough!

I love teaching freshmen. They are my favorites. Honestly. Some people look at me like I have completely lost my mind when I say that, but I love them. I love being their first point of experience with high school English because it can shape, in some part, how they feel about English for the rest of their high school years.

I also love freshmen because they are not jaded like the other kids (yet). I taught seniors my first year at the high school and I could not wait for them to leave. It was just senior-itis all year long. With freshmen, they are still young enough to be goofy (and to tolerate a somewhat goofy teacher). Plus, they get and (some) appreciate my blazing sarcasm. Yes, yes, teachers. I, too, have read the books that say sarcasm has no place in the classroom, but if you have spent more than two minutes in my presence you know that sarcasm is as ingrained in my personality as blinking.

So, to those teachers out there--Happy first days of school. Not everyone understands how hard being a teacher can be and what a calling and a joy and a privilege it is.

Before people start making comments about how teachers get the summers off and blah, blah, blah. Think of your own children, especially if they are 14 or 15 years old (or imagine what your child will be like at 14-15), multiple that by 100 or more (last year, I had 135 students) and try to imagine being in one room with them for 8 hours a day. And keeping them focused. And keeping them from writing/passing notes; keeping them awake; keeping them from walking out of the room/or possibly cussing at you. Bringing in their baggage from a rough home life/learning disabillities/the fight they had with their boyfriend/girlfriend (ah, young love. It's kinda gross). Bringing in all of their fears and insecurities. And their hopes that they actually are/can be/have the potential to be smart and capable and successful (because that's really what they want, despite all their bravado of not caring).

And you--trying to harness all of that. Into something constructive. Focusing on something that means nothing to them right now (identifying participles anyone?). Trying to get them to see that they truly are shaping their futures right now and making some decisions that impact them.

Man, some kids have been ultra hard (or "tough to love") and some have been downright a$$holes. And some have really captured my heart and just made me want to cry because getting out of bed and coming to school/not being at home will be the best thing that would happen to them all day. Some are hilarious. Some are too cool. Some are nerdy. Some have been forgotten by name or face. But, in my 10 years of teaching, I've enjoyed myself and the people I have taught alongside.

No comments: