Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TA DA!!!!!!



DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO TELL YOU PEOPLE????? SEVEN WEEKS. That's right, seven whole weeks. ME--the one who can't keep her own secrets to save her life (other people's secrets, yes. But I don't have one thing that at least one other person does not know about.)

Okay, to be fair, I haven't really kept this a secret either. Some people have known about it for a couple of weeks now, but mostly because Craig told them. It's so funny--he has been so excited about this baby. So have I, but I've been mostly freaked out about what could go wrong than anything else.

But, yesterday, we went to our first ultrasound appointment--the one I have been anxiously awaiting! AND IT WENT PERFECTLY!!! Seriously, we couldn't have asked for a better appointment. The OB had to move the ultrasound thingy around a little bit because, at first, she couldn't see anything. Of course, that freaked me out because I did go in half expecting/half prepared for bad news. But, then she moved it to the right position and there was Baby!!!

Baby measured right on time--10 weeks, 2 days. We were able to see and hear the heartbeat (Craig was really impressed by that and said that was the highlight of the whole appointment). The heartbeat was 160. If the picture is too small, click on it and it will get bigger. The head is to the left, arms/hands are in the middle, body to the right. You can't see the feet. It was really cool--Baby was moving!!

Now, however, we are faced with the fact that we are going to be mommy and daddy. Alternately the thought is exciting and terrifying. Really?? A baby? Am I ready to give up sleeping in (or sleeping at all for that matter)? Selfishly collapsing on the couch at the slightest hint of a cold? Being able to pick and leave (to go to the movies, the mall, the grocery store, New York) without a second thought? Not to mention that another human being will be totally, completely, utterly dependent on us and it will be our responsibility not to f*^* it up too much.

Then I think about all the other mothers I see out there and how much love there is between parent and child and I have to say, I think it just might be worth it.

OTHER UPDATES: we are leaving for the UK this week to attend T and S's wedding. It will be good to go over--I haven't been since 2007. Plus, Craig's grandmother had a very successful triple bypass and is now at home healing well, so we are looking forward to seeing her. She is very, very excited about her newest great-grandchild and has asked no less than five times a conversation if we are bringing her a picture of the ultrasound.

After we return from UK, we are off to Cincinnati. The house is still on the market; we have had a few viewings, but no offers yet.

My parents were in town over the weekend and stayed until this morning (they wanted to see the results of the ultrasound) and they took our puppy dogs. :( I am grateful to them because we'll be staying in a hotel in Cincinnati until we find a house and the dogs are not used to being in one room all day long. My parents are home all day and they have a big backyard, so it truly is the best thing, but I love my doggies. I will miss them. However, the dogs LOVE my parents, so I don't think they will mind as much as I do that they will be gone.

1 comment:

Auntie said...

I DON'T KNOW THAT YOU CAN SENSE THE EXCITEMENT THAT I'M FEELING TO BE AN AUNTIE!!! I'M TO THE POINT OF MAKING MYSELF A SHIRT!!! Scott and I are so very excited for you guys! What a true blessing and gift a baby is!!! We can't wait to find out what we will have!! A niece or nephew. The boys want a girl!! :) LOVE YOU!!!