Thursday, March 11, 2010

March, it is

First let me brag about my wonderful husband/babydaddy.

We have a pregnancy journal called The Belly Book. It's a week by week journal of my pregnancy. Almost every week, we've taken a picture of me and the bump and I've written a little summary of the week. Craig sometimes contributes.

This morning, I get out The Belly Book and turn to Week 38 and here is what I see:

"So, I know I haven't been writing in the book as much as I should have but I have been thinking about you constantly. We're all really excited to meet you. Not too long to go now! Love Dad"

Commence crying. AGAIN. I don't say it enough and when you hear us talk, we are so sarcastic to each other that some people have sat and stared at us, but, I really have married such an amazing man and sometimes I just can't believe my luck.

Onto Baby news. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but my doctor is going out of town on my due date. This is not new to us--the doc let us know on our first visit this was going to happen (well, sort of. He first said it was the week I was due, then he said it was the week after, then he reconfirmed that it WAS the week I was due). At the time, I really didn't think it was a big deal because the baby has always measured ahead of time, so I have convinced myself he's coming early. No need to worry about it, doc, he'll come before then!!!

Fast forward to now. Well, it's getting to be crunch time and the doctor has given me the option of elective induction or just wait until I go into labor spontaneously. I may watch too many movies, but I was looking forward to the whole, "Honey, let's go. I'm in labor" drive to the hospital. So, induction wasn't REALLY what I wanted. But, the practical, planner, Type A side of me says fantastic!! If we have an induction, we are prepared for it.

Right now, I'm really hoping I DO go into labor on my own, but I think I've wrapped my head around an induction as well. You may be wondering why it matters. Well, with all the changes that we have had during this pregnancy (the move to Cincy, the house hunt, first baby, little support system in town), I think it would mean a lot of me to have the doctor that I have established a relationship with to deliver the baby. It may not mean a lot to HIM, but I think I would be more comfortable and relaxed knowing who was going to deliver, rather than just some stranger coming in. **I should add that my OB is a single practice. It's just him--he's not part of a group.

I know there are risks involved, but the people I know personally who have been induced have had great experiences.

Craig is coming with me to my appointment on Monday, so we'll be able to ask all the questions we have right now and if we feel comfortable with induction, then D-Day begins March 18 at 7 a.m. For those of you who do not have immediate access to a calendar, THAT IS ONE WEEK EXACTLY FROM TODAY.

I'm still hoping that I do go into labor on my own, but if nothing else, we will have a baby in one week. Wow.

A 38 week picture:
In other news, we're making friends!!!!! Our next door neighbors have been utterly fantastic in welcoming us to the area and really making us feel so comfortable here. They are the kind of neighbors you hope to get when you move into a new house. Last night, we had another couple over for dinner as well and they were very nice, too!! I am just so happy that we've started to meet people!

2 comments:

Denise said...

One week - that is SO exciting!!! I can't wait to hear about the appointment on Monday!

Linda said...

Wow! Only one week!!! Jenny was induced and, like you, she wanted her doctor. Well, things didn't progress too fast and her doctor went off duty and next guy steps up. Well, still no baby but #3 comes in 30 minutes into his shift and we had a baby! He was the cutest one too!!

Good luck. We'll be thinking of you and I'm sure Veronica will let us know when Johnathan makes his entrance!!